Brazil dramatically recalled superstar Neymar to its squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup on Monday, reintroducing the star to the national team after almost three years away.
The biggest surprise from coach Carlo Ancelotti’s 26-man squad was the inclusion of Neymar, who is Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 79 goals in 128 games.
Ancelotti announced Neymar’s selection at a gala ceremony in Rio de Janeiro to loud cheers as the veteran attacker’s call-up was confirmed.
The 34-year-old, who previously played for Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain, has been the subject of speculation for months over whether he would force his way back into the national team set-up.
The forward, who played in the 2014, 2018, and 2022 World Cups, last played for Brazil after injuring a knee during a World Cup qualifying game against Uruguay in 2023.
Ancelotti cited fitness concerns after leaving him out of Brazil’s squad for March friendlies against France and Croatia, with a mix of injuries and poor form seeing him fall out of the national team set-up.
But Neymar, who returned to his boyhood club Santos in January after an injury-plagued spell in Saudi Arabia, has now got the nod from Ancelotti to play in the World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
“We followed Neymar all year, and we saw that in the last period he has been playing with consistency and his physical condition has improved.” Ancelotti said. “We think he’s an important player.
Neymar has made just 15 appearances in 31 matches since his return to Santos in 2026, largely due to injury.
Brazil, bidding for a record sixth World Cup title, open their World Cup account against Morocco on June 13 before meeting Haiti and Scotland in Group C.
Neymar will join a formidable attacking lineup that includes Barcelona striker Raphinha and Real Madrid’s Vinicius Junior.
Meanwhile, Ancelotti said he thought the World Cup would be won by the most “resilient” team.
“There is no such thing as a perfect team, and so the World Cup will not be won by a perfect team,” he said. “It’s going to be a battle of the toughest team.
Brazil squad for FIFA World Cup 2026
Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool), Ederson (Fenerbahce), Weverton (Gremio)
Defenders: Alex Sandro (Flamengo), Danilo (Flamengo), Leo Pereira (Flamengo), Bremer (Juventus), Douglas Santos (Zenit St Petersburg), Gabriel Magalhães (Arsenal), Ibanez (Al-Ahli), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain), Wesley (Roma)
Midfielders: Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle), Casemiro (Manchester United), Danilo (Botafogo), Fabinho (Al-Ittihad), Lucas Paqueta (Flamengo).
Forwards: Endrick (Lyon), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal), Igor Thiago (Brentford), Luiz Henrique (Zenit), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United), Neymar (Santos), Raphinha (Barcelona), Rayan (Bournemouth), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid)
Read More: Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City at the end of the season: Reports
